Point Loma Nazarene University is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Division II and participates in intercollegiate competition in the Pacific West Conference (PacWest). Intercollegiate sports for women include basketball, volleyball, cross-country, soccer, tennis, golf and track and field. Intercollegiate sports for men include basketball, soccer, tennis, and baseball.
PLNU champions a Christ-centered environment where student-athletes experience holistic growth while pursuing academic and athletic distinction.
PLNU Athletic Goals
The following goals guide the course of intercollegiate athletics at PLNU:
- Student-athletes will develop the individual and team skills necessary to compete at the conference and regional levels. PLNU also welcomes the opportunity to compete nationally.
- PLNU will clearly communicate its Christ-centered mission to all competitors and will affiliate with regional and national conferences that respect its mission and provide a reasonable level of competition.
- PLNU maintains high academic standards for all students, including student-athletes. Scheduling of competition and travel will minimize academic disruption.
- PLNU’s athletic teams and spectators will cultivate a competitive environment of good sportsmanship, reflecting fairness in competition, humility in victory, and dignity in defeat.
- Intercollegiate Athletics will provide opportunities for fan engagement and the cultivation of school spirit.
- The Athletics Department will align its fundraising and promotional efforts with the efforts of the offices of University Advancement and Admissions.
- Consistent with the history of the Church of the Nazarene and her affirmation of leadership by both women and men, Intercollegiate Athletics offers competitive opportunities to both women and men and fully complies with federal regulations related to gender equity.
- PLNU hires and develops coaches who are committed to Christ, possess university level coaching knowledge and skills, maintain a high standard of personal conduct, and are committed to the character development of their athletes.
- PLNU recruits student-athletes who understand and support the university mission. Each student-athlete will pursue a course of study designed to culminate in graduation from the university.
- Athletic Programs will be sponsored based on: adequate facilities in proximate distance of campus, adequate economic support, adequate student interest, adequate opportunities for competition within regional and national conference affiliation, and within the context of capped enrollment.
The intramural program is designed to enhance and extend the student’s opportunities for wholesome and beneficial physical activities through recreational and competitive on-campus programs.
A vigorous intramural sports program is under the guidance of the intramural coordinator through the Department of Athletics. On-campus leagues are scheduled each semester and include: basketball, volleyball, softball, tennis, soccer, ultimate frisbee and others. Activities such as group aerobics are also offered.